Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Clean Slate

This blog is to be used to chronicle the activities, laboratory or academic, I undertake in Paris as part of the "Optics in the City of Light" iREU program via University of Michigan. My project is on the cleaning of artifacts with femtosecond lasers, as might have been evident from the blog title and URL. Although I'm working for Gerard Mourou, it seems like I'll be primarily working with Bianca Jackson, a postdoc working at Institut de la Lumière Extrême (I'm really going to have to figure out how to get those accents and not just copy paste them).

I flew in to Michigan from Baltimore yesterday afternoon. We spent most of today cutting through red tape; getting ID cards and the like, and also watching a laser safety video. It sounds like tomorrow will be a little more interesting, with a presentation about France as a country to work in on tap.

We have to make presentations (for Friday) detailing what we think the primary question/focus of our research in France is going to be. I've read the articles Bianca sent me, now I just need to mull over what exactly I think I'm going to be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment