Tuesday, June 22, 2010

50th anniversary of the Laser, Day 1

The weekend was pretty quiet. Sean and I went to the Grand Palais on Saturday to see their Daoist exhibit. It was pretty interesting, although the blurbs were in French. I could definitely see the Buddhist (pre-Yuan) influence on some of the Daoist pieces, which was pretty cool. After that, we walked the Champs-Élysées for a while. I went to church on Sunday and met Dr. Mourou on the metro. He was heading off to meet Charles Townes for the 50th Anniversary of the Laser conference, so Dr. Mourou and I had a conversation on the metro about my project, mutual acquaintances at Rochester, and racquet sports (he plays squash, I play badminton). Sunday night, Lee, Michelle, Robyn, Sean, and I went to the Luxembourg RER stop and found a place to have dinner. Tom and I tried to go to Pere Lachaise cemetery to visit Fourier's grave, but it was closed by the time we got there.

On Monday, Johanna and I went to the Louvre. We helped assemble the visiting scientists who came for Louvre tours, which was pretty fun because we got to meet some pretty well known people. We managed to tag along on a tour of the Louvre's Delacroix paintings; it was like being in European History class again. After the tour, we attended Dr. Costas Fotakis' talk on the use of lasers in art conservation. Since the talk was quite general, I admittedly didn't get much out of it, and he showed quite a few more pictorial results than were published in his articles that I've read. I think I might have thrown him off slightly by asking a more technical question after his presentation.

Tomorrow, there are quite a few talks that look very interesting. I'll post summaries of the ones I get the most out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment